perjantai 30. lokakuuta 2015

This is who I am





Hello. My name is Mikko, I am an old man at the ripe age of 25.

I live in Finland in a sinkhole called Vantaa in Rekola district with my parents.



My hobbies include rotting my brain in front of a computer (which you could almost call a lifestyle at this point), preteding to know how to play guitar and piano, playing various video games and occasionally attempting excercise.



I have a pet cat who I hold very dear (even though I've unofficially named him Bastard)



I study catering at Keskuspuisto Vocation Collage in Helsinki at Tenholantie unit to hopefully one day be a chef, my studies include learning to get to know, identify and prepare various ingredients as food, the necessary hygiene procedures concerning my vocation as well as table setting for various occasions; everyday, thematic and formal.



My favorite movie is probably the science fiction film Blade Runner; I enjoy it's compelling story, well-written characters and the overall bleak but possibly accurate futuristic setting and theme of the film that questions our very identity and what it means to be a human being. I don't really watch television that much these days so naming a single favorite series is difficult, but I generally enjoy TV-series from the 1980's and 90's like MacGyver, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Twin Peaks and Miami Vice because I grew up with those series and I also appreciate their themes, production values at the time and their lighthearted campiness compared to today's standards.



Like TV-series, naming a single favorite game proves quite a challenge, I enjoy a lot of different games from old fashioned board games to video games, but my favorite kind of videogame are fighting games, which I enjoy for their technical skill requirement, 1-on-1 setting and competitive nature as well the social aspect of people gathering together for their favorite thing.



For a favorite book it is hard to say (notice a trend here?) as I haven't really read books that much, in my youth I read a lot of the Harry Potter novels and some other books for youths, but lately I've tried to get more into it and I have generally enjoyed reading hard science fiction novels from well-received authors like William Gibson and the Strugatsky brothers, I've also always wanted to read some classical liteature like Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and the works of Ernest Hemingway.



For music, I enjoy a wide variety of genres from hip hop, synth pop and dance music to rock, blues and heavy metal, the only exception that I explicitly cannot stomach at all is dubstep, and overall I enjoy older music from the 60's to the 90's. I tend go over "seasons" where I listen to some genre/artist more than others and lately it's been 80's pop music like Pet Shop Boys and Genesis. My overall favorite bands are AC/DC and Iron Maiden.



I'd describe myself as a warm, calm and pretty easygoing kind of person who tends to keep a cool head in things and take most everyday things lightly with a touch of humor, which is evident from my chattiness (probably to the point of annoyance for people around me), but I still have my serious side and can get easily (and possibly comically) irritated when things don't go the way I'd want them to go, I also can be a bit on the shy side around new people as I generally need a little time to get used to a new group and get to know it for me to feel relaxed, after that I'd like to think myself easily approchable and at least tolerable.



Thanks for reading!

1 kommentti:

  1. Hi Mikko,
    Thank you for your story. You write really nice and fluent english.
    Have a nice trip all of you!
    Greetings,
    Marjut

    VastaaPoista